Physical education at King Street Primary School aims to develop the knowledge, skills and capabilities necessary for mental, emotional, social and physical wellbeing in our children now and for their future. We fully understand that physical fitness is an important part of leading a healthier lifestyle.
Therefore, it is our intent to promote physical activity and healthy lifestyles whilst teaching children life skills that will positively impact on their future. We aim to deliver high-quality teaching and learning opportunities that inspire all children to succeed in physical activities, where children are taught to observe: the conventions of fair play, honest competition and good sporting behaviour as individual participants, team members and spectators - embedding life-long values. Throughout the year, children take part in: games, gymnastic movement, dance and athletic activities using indoor and outdoor environments which aim to developing becoming more physically active who can flourish in those ranges of different physical activities and:
- Lead a healthy lifestyle, which is achieved by: eating sensibly, being aware of the dangers of drugs, smoking and alcohol and exercising regularly;
- Are able to remain physically active for sustained periods of time and have an understanding of the importance of this in promoting long-term health and well-being;
- Take the initiative and become excellent young leaders, organising and officiating, and evaluating what needs to be done to improve, and motivating and instilling excellent sporting attitudes in others;
- Employ imagination and creativity in their techniques, tactics and choreography;
- Are able to improve their own and others’ performance;
- Have a keen interest in PE - a willingness to participate eagerly in every lesson, highly positive attitudes and the ability to make informed choices about engaging fully in extracurricular sport;
- Can swim at least 25 metres before the end of Year 6 and know how to remain safe in and around water.
Pupils at King Street Primary School participate in high quality sporting activities and PE twice a including opportunities to participate in regular outdoor education. Our PE programme incorporates a variety of sports to ensure all children develop the confidence, tolerance and the appreciation of their own and others’ strengths and weaknesses. We provide opportunities for all children to engage in extra-curricular activities during and after school, in addition to competitive sporting events. This is an inclusive approach which endeavours to encourage not only physical development but also well-being.