The children have adapted really well this week to some of the new routines we have put into place ready for them returning to school. The safety and well-being of the whole school community is our utmost priority. I would like to draw your attention to the key procedures below.
- Handwashing: children are supervised by Miss Lloyd or Mr Swift to regularly and thoroughly wash their hands throughout the day.
- Cleaning: tables are cleaned (by adults) throughout the day, packed lunches and water bottles are wiped down upon entry to school each morning.
- Playtimes: Playtimes and lunches are all taken within our class bubble, to keep children as safe as possible, while also allowing them to play with their friends and build relationships. Lunch is eaten in the classroom, with school lunches being prepared on site (after taking children’s orders from the menu) and brought to class in individual containers.
Our topic this term is ‘Gods and Monsters’. We will be kicking off our topic by exploring the story ‘The Time Travelling Cat and the Egyptian Goddess’. We will also be reading 'Who Let The Gods Out' later in the term.
During our first few days we'll be exploring tone and colour in art and creating some dragon eye artwork.
In English, look out for our own stories based on the story of the Nian -the monster of the lunar new year. We will be rewriting the story to include our own monster.
In History, we will look at Ancient Greece and the legacy they left behind. In Geography, we will use Digimaps to explore land use and compare maps to see how settlements have changed over time.
Furthermore, in Science, our topic is 'Earth and Space'. I can't wait to begin looking at the Solar System. This will include exploring the movement of the planets and moon, as well as day and night.
We will continue to have PE lessons on a Wednesday and Friday. As the hall cannot be used, we will largely be having our PE lessons outside.
Pupils will need tracksuit bottoms, a sweatshirt, a plain t-shirt in their house colour and, trainers. Long hair should be tied back and earrings taken out or covered for PE. PE kits should be sent with your child on a Monday and we will send them home on a Friday.
For the foreseeable future, homework (including spellings) will be set through eSchools. We will spend time this week ensuring children are confident in using eSchools and know how to log on. If you do have internet issues, please let us know so we can try and sort a solution.
- eSchools can be accessed through the school website (login button in the top right corner) and there is also an app for tablets/phones. Children log in using their own account not a parent’s account.
- To do this, they log on as follows: firstname.lastname and the password will be ‘king’ as long as they haven’t changed it (e.g. Username: Tony.Stark Password: king)
- New spellings will be published on eSchools on a Monday, with the test taking place on a Friday. Spellings can be practised at home but nothing needs to be handed in.
- Reading books and records will be sent out on a Monday, and are to be returned on a Friday. Unfortunately, currently we are unable to change books daily, so we will be sending out two books weekly. Please take the time to read with your child daily, and focus on their understanding of the text by asking questions.
- Further work, such as times tables practise may be set on Purple Mash. Children can access this to play games, even when no work has been set as a 2Do.